Weaselhead Flats, buffers forest from city, bearing witness to the connection between man and nature. First created by human development, this oasis on Calgary’s western edge has become a pristine example of the balance between recreation and conservation.
Construction of the Glenmore Dam in 1933 backed up the Elbow River. The resulting delta and rich wetlands gave a wide variety of birds and other wildlife a place to thrive close to the urban populous.
Among the branches and tree trunks of the Weaselhead, hundreds of manmade structures blend in. Built and placed here by nature lovers, they provide food and shelter for the birds. Over the years, the bird houses and feeders of the Weaselhead have become integrated – an integral part of the landscape.
Today, the very existence of Weaselhead Flats is in doubt. Exploring and documenting the area as it faces further development helps to build an understanding of the fragile relationship between the city and surrounding areas.